05 Jun World Environment Day 2018
News & Events
mlcoa provides up-to-date information on Australia-wide medico-legal legislation and industry news, as well as details for upcoming mlcoa events and training sessions. Please contact us for more information.
World Environment Day 2018 – Beat Plastic Pollution
Plastic pollution is one of the biggest environmental challenges of our time, with statistics showing that there will be more plastic in the oceans than fish by 2050. To change the future, we each need to play our part. Whether it is a bottled soft drink, a bag from the supermarket, or a spoon in a coffee shop, single-use plastic has become embedded in our daily lives. The low cost, convenience and lightness of these products have revolutionised the packaging of goods. However, it is now clear that this convenience has had a catastrophic impact on the environment.
Did you know that:
- Up to 5 trillion plastic bags used each year
- 13 million tonnes of plastic leak into the ocean each year
- 17 million barrels of oil used on plastic production each year
- 1 million plastic bottles bought every minute
- 100,000 marine animals killed by plastics each year
- 100 years for plastic to degrade in the environment
- 90% of bottled water found to contain plastic particles
- 83% of tap water found to contain plastic particles
- 50% of consumer plastics are single use
At mlcoa, we are conscious of our impact on the environment and in turn we have implemented numerous changes to the way in which we operate to ensure that our impact on the environment is as minimal as possible.
Together through small changes, we can have a greater impact and ensure that we preserve our environment for the future generations. For more information on World Environment Day and how you can make a change, visit the website.